I am not going to lie, I have had thoughts these last few weeks about being a stay at home mom. I have even crunched the numbers a few times. Matt and I could probably afford for me to stay home, but we would have to make some serious lifestyle adjustments. I wonder if all working mom's who are on maternity leave have thoughts about staying home? I never pictured myself to be the stay-at-home mom type...that is until I met my sweet little Cole. I have literally been with him 24/7 since the day of his birth and I just can't imagine my days spent away from him. I feel like I'm going to miss his smiles and noises and feeling him in my arms...and yes, even changing his diapers is something I will miss.
We have an awesome babysitter lined up and I couldn't be more excited for Cole to be a part of the Kim's Kare family. They are all so happy about him being there and all of the kids already have met him and love him. I know that I will not worry about his well being while I'm at work. I'll just miss him. He will learn so much about playing and sharing with other kids and he will certainly have friends that he will get to see each day. He'll do art projects and enjoy field trips when he gets a bit older. If I can't be with him every day this is no doubt the best place in my eyes for him to be.
My mom stayed at home with us while we were growing up. And I know that her and my dad made a lot of sacrifices for her to be able to do that. We were so lucky to have her home each and every day. I know now that I am a mommy and thinking about leaving my baby I am realizing even more how great of a mom I have. When I look back on my childhood I have nothing but really good memories. I can picture the days in the summertime when we could sleep in because my mom didn't have to get up and leave to go to work, I can picture playing outside in our backyard all day, I can picture going to the library, I can picture riding our bikes around out in the country, I can picture eating good food for dinner that my mom prepared all day. My mom's life revolved around us kids and taking us places and caring for us. I'd say she did a pretty good job of it too!
Now I don't think that stay-at-home mom's are better or worse than working mom's. I think that it's just a matter of what works for each family. For us, aside from the nice paycheck every other week, I actually do like working. I have worked really hard in the past 6 years at State Farm to get to the level I am at. I enjoy getting out every day and seeing my friends. I enjoy the challenge that my job brings. I am sure once I get back to work and get into a routine I'll be just fine with taking Cole to daycare. It's just going to be a slow adjustment. I think I'm making the right decision for our family by going back to work. I hope that it becomes even more clear to me that it's the right choice in the next few months/years. I really do admire both working and stat-at-home moms! Neither one is an easy job!
Now Cole, promise your mama that you will not let me miss your first time rolling over, or walking, or talking! You have to save those special moments for me! You can impress them at daycare after mama sees it happen.

That baby in the picture looks like Matt! LOL I know it will be hard going back to work but Cole is such a good baby, he will surely wait to complete any milestones til he's with you. :)
ReplyDeleteHi Erin- thanks for posting this. I think all moms feel guilt. I've talked to stay at home moms who feel guilt because they don't make money. I am a working mom who feels guilt for missing precious moments. Motherhood is full of hard decisions. Like you, I love to work so it was natural for me to go back to work. After a few weeks of adjusting, life felt normal again working all day and tending to Graham at night. And, it gets much better when you start sleeping again at night!
ReplyDeleteYou are an awesome mommy to Cole......love you lots and will be thinking of you next week as you begin your new routine.
ReplyDeleteWe are so looking forward to having you back at "The Farm" Erin! We will be there for you helping you adjust and can't wait to hear the daily updates of Mr. Cole's growth and antics!
ReplyDeleteFrom Sharon: Hey -- I wanted to stay at home too....but, I made daycare promise they would not tell me if she did something new like roll over or crawl, because I wanted her to do it first for me. Silly, I know...but I, like you, just couldn't stand it if I missed those precious firsts!
ReplyDelete