Saturday, December 15, 2012

Trip to Peoria: Kidney's & Diapers

Yesterday Matt and I traveled to Peoria with Cole for another appointment at The Children's Hospital of IL to check his kidneys.  We were lucky last time we went and didn't have to go back for 6 months...man the last 6 months sure flew by!  I really was not looking forward to this appointment at all because Cole had to have a VCUG procedure done.  It's not a painful procedure, but it entails a catheter and a screaming baby.  We had to hold him down on the table so they could get x-rays.  All in all, it was about a 15 minute procedure, but it seemed like a lifetime.  I was so glad when it was over and I could hold my baby again.  They are so great with children at this hospital.  They let us wear lead gowns so we could stand by him while he was being x-rayed and they were so nice to Cole.  I am glad the people who were doing the test work with children often...we were in good hands!

Even though I didn't want to do this VCUG again, I am glad we did.  The x-rays showed that he does not have any reflux in his kidneys anymore.  He really did outgrow the reflux like his doctor thought he would.  We are so grateful!  He does have to go back in 6 months again, but this time just for an ultrasound.  If that looks good then we hope we only have to go back once a year at this point until he is potty trained.

After Cole's appointments, we went to the NICU to deliver the Teeny Tears diapers.  Everyone who donated towards the cause should feel so proud...we delivered 500 diapers to the NICU in Peoria.  That's 250 sets...or 250 families we will help.  It felt awesome to hand these over to the people they are meant for.  I would never wish for anyone to need these diapers, but the reality is that people do.  I am happy that we can try to help someone who is on the journey of losing a child.  I saved out 22 sets to take to Bromenn on January 9.  That's right folks, in total we made/donated 545 diapers!!!!!  Can you believe that?  That's beyond my wildest expectations when I started this project.  Thank you all again so much for your love, support, and donations to make this possible.  Love you all!

I have some pictures of all of the diapers...but my storage on my blog for photos is at it's max.  Once I figure out how to fix that, I'll post some pictures.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for diaper deliveries!! Those families will be blessed during an incredibly difficult time. I hate that anyone needs them, but I hope they can bring a little bit of comfort to grieving families.

    Also, I hit the max storage on my blog too...you can either pay to add more OR add another email address onto the blog (I just added another one of my own email addresses) and you can post that way with pictures. It's irritating because you have to be signed in as the other email address, but it works!

    ReplyDelete