Bought on the same day my baby girl was born that October.
The color gray, just like the haze that was filling my life at that moment.
They kept my feet warm as I was wheeled to the NICU room to see her.
They were worn as I held her as she took her last breath.
They were there as her tiny heart stopped beating.
The slippers came home from the hospital with me because I had no other shoes.
My feet were warm, but my heart was empty.
These slippers were put away in my closet for quite some time.
They held memories so dear, I could not get rid of them.
But the memories also kept them from being worn.
I knew some day they would be needed again.
Through times of uncertainty and waiting, they were on my feet.
They kept me comfortable after medical procedures and needle pricks.
The slippers were on my feet as I heard "you're pregnant" again.
They were there when my heart started to regain hope.
Along came a new baby boy in the month of December.
My feet were cold, in need of warmth.
The slippers carried me into his room several times at night when he needed me.
Propped up on a stool as I nursed him and stared at his sweet little face.
These slippers followed the boy around as he grew.
They have stepped on many cars, trucks, and tractors.
They have run to him when he calls "mommy" or wants to be chased.
Keeping my feet cozy while I hug him before bedtime.
In the month of September we welcomed a new baby brother.
The slippers fit the form of my foot perfectly by now.
Worn again in the middle of each night as I softly tiptoe to his nursery.
Waiting to chase two little boys around my living room and listen to their giggles.
These slippers are now so worn and tattered.
But they have been part of the journey of each of my children's beginning.
There are no other physical possessions that I can say the same about.
These slippers are so much more than something that just covers my feet.

I love this! You could write more about these slippers as they walk with you throughout life! Oh the things they will experience ang guide you through!
ReplyDeleteYou are such a beautiful writer! These are very special slippers with such deep meaning for you. I have similar reasons why I can't throw away that old pink robe. :)
ReplyDelete