Reflecting back, 2014 was a good year for us. The boys are healthy, growing, and learning. Matt and I both took new positions at work that we are excited about. We spent a lot of time with family and friends, even gained a sister-in-law. We got back into a rhythm of going to church. And in between all of that we had a lot of everyday living...sometimes mundane, and sometimes pure chaos.
I've never really been one to set resolutions for the new year, because I feel like it's always my goal to strive to be a better person and meet whatever goals I have set in my mind. But this year, I feel like I want to list out some of the things I'd like to accomplish and that way I have it in writing to reflect back on as the year comes to a close. (These are in no particular order of importance)
- Relish in the every day moments. Have more patience with everyone around me and wisdom to see teaching moments for my kids instead of just saying "no". Sometimes I get caught up in the craziness that washes over our household with two working parents and two toddlers. It sometimes seems impossible to accomplish anything at all in a day when the kids are home. They are needy. They are messy. They are loud. But- I desperately want to slow down and soak up every moment of this because this is LIFE. This is what I was fighting for the last 5 years for. This is imperfectly perfect. I know that all too soon they will be grown and out of this house. I want to slow down and take notice of the small and seemingly insignificant moments because one day those will be the significant memories and traditions and things the kids reflect back on.
- Read the Bible the entire way through. I am following an app on my iPhone that will guide me through this. If you want to check it out, it's called She Reads Truth. They have other studies that I've followed that are great as well. This particular Bible study is broken down into short sections of verse that are quick to read and you can even check off that you've read and it will show you the progress that you have made. So far, I'm only a few days in, but I've already learned something new.
- Be more encouraging to friends and family in their trials of life. We all know that I've been through some really dark times in the last few years. And during some of those times I've had amazing friends and family checking in on me and just letting me be me. One thing that is so important to me in life is making connections with others. I am normally good at checking in on people and being an encourager, but this year I want to focus even more on that. I want to be more proactive in being a caring, comforting, encouraging friend and family member.
- Limit my "tech time". I want to put down my phone and lessen my time on social media to really take in and enjoy every moment in life. This resolution kind of goes with the one above. I'm not saying I'm shutting down my Facebook account or anything that drastic...but if I miss something important that you've posted or it takes me awhile to comment or like something, please forgive me!
- Continue to stay the course for Financial Peace. We took the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace course last year. We learned a TON during the 8 week class and we've really gotten serious about where we want to be in a year, 5 years, 10 years, and even all the way at retirement. We made huge strides to become financially secure last year...and I want us to continue following the "Baby Steps" to meet each goal that we have set. (By the way, if you have not taken this course I would strongly recommend it...even if you think you are already good with your money. We thought we were good managers of our money, but this course has really changed our lives!)
- Improve my marriage. This is not what you are thinking. Matt and I have a pretty strong marriage. But I think there are always things that can be done to improve. This is mostly about me wanting to be the best wife I can be for Matt. I want to take more responsibility to be supportive and encouraging to him. I want to be there for him and help him to meet his goals. I want to engage in more meaningful conversation with him. I want to continue to grow together and make memories with our family.
- Eat healthier and drink more water. We are off to a good start this new year with trying out healthier recipes. We've been trying to cut out some of the gluten we eat (let's be real...we're not getting rid of all of it) and eating more veggies and meat. I want to experiment with different healthy snack recipes for the boys. So far I'm 0 for 4 with Cole...but on a brighter note, Clay has liked everything I made. I am terrible at drinking a lot of water during the day. I don't drink much in place of water, I realized I just get so busy I forget to drink. However, I want to make an effort to down more water each day because I know it's really good for overall health.
- Learn and grow in my career. As I stated above, I got a new position at work and while it's in a familiar area, there is a lot to learn. I want to remain open to the challenges of growing and learning. I need to keep in mind that when things seem hard and overwhelming it's because you are evolving to be a better employee. Every hard moment is one that you can keep as experience to get to where you are going in the end. I want this to be a year of working with new people and getting to know others. Maybe even making some new friends!
This is a year of personal growth for me. I can feel it. I want to be the best I can be not only for myself, but for those around me who are so important in my life.
I haven't had much time to read in the past couple of years, but lately I've come across some quick reads that have made an impact on me. Books that have inspired me to be the best I can be...and to do that turn to God and shape my life around him. Check these out if you have time...and if you do read one of them, I'd be curious to see what you think when you are done.
The Hardest Peace: http://www.mundanefaithfulness.com/the-hardest-peace-book/
The Best Yes: http://thebestyes.com
One Thousand Gifts: http://onethousandgifts.com
Have you made new year resolutions or set any goals? I hope that 2015 is an amazing year for all of my friends and family! I'm looking forward to making many new and exciting memories this year!
No comments:
Post a Comment