If a doctor had approached me in the NICU and told me Braelyn could live if I would choose to die, I would have asked how quickly that could take place. I would have made that choice in a second or less. I fully understand sacrificing myself so that my child could live, but I don't understand from God's perspective as a "parent" sacrificing my child so others may live. Don't get me wrong, I am forever grateful that God sent his only son to die on the cross so that we may all have eternal life and be reunited with loved ones again someday but I just don't think I could have done the same thing. Maybe it's selfish human nature...or maybe it's just loving someone so much you don't want to let them go or see them suffer.
Today I listened more attentively in church than I ever have to the Easter story. When you really think about what God did for us it is truly amazing. I don't know any parents that would sacrifice their child, much less for the sake of other people who live in sin. It's ironic how a situation so painful can make you open your eyes to what life is really about. I will forever be grateful for Braelyn and her short time on Earth because it has re-opened my eyes to what it means to live as a Christian. I have fallen away from that lifestyle, and I'm working hard to make up for lost time.
Happy Easter! Thank you God for sacrificing your son so that I can someday see my baby and all of those that I love again! Thank you Jesus for taking on all of the many sins of the world to give us eternal life!
Erin, well said! After you were born I often thought of Abraham who was told by God to sacrifice Isaac, his only son. What faith he had to be able to even consider it much less act upon it. I can't even imagine the thoughts that Abraham must have had. Just as our love for our chidren is immeasurable, God's love for us is even more. Because of this love and His sacrifice we WILL see those we love again. Love you lots!! Mom
ReplyDelete