Ok, so I admit. I watch the show on MTV called 16 and Pregnant. I don't know why I continuously watch this show. It's like a train wreck you can't look away from I guess. Anyway, doesn't matter why I watch. :o)
On tonights episode the girl who was knocked up made a comment like "Who knew I could get pregnant by not taking my birth control pills for only 3 days." WHAT!? Hold the phone! You probably think I'm trying to imply the girl is dumb to not know that she could get pregnant by skipping a pill here and there. But that's not my point. If you know all of the science that goes into having a baby you would find it amazing that someone could get pregnant in a random 3 day window.
Let me explain a bit. Sorry if this is TMI. So in order to get pregnant all the cards need to align just right. Your body has to have just the right amount of hormones being produced, follicles need to be just the right size to release a healthy egg, then one healthy sperm must make it to the egg before the egg dies. Ovulation happens so quickly each month, sometimes within hours you can miss your opportunity to become pregnant. It's a miracle anyone has ever gotten pregnant with those odds. Those are the facts that I'll share with you without going into too much detail.
For those of us who have gone through IVF, we know just how precise the timing has to be in order to get pregnant. I can't even fathom what it would be like to be off of birth control for 3 days and get pregnant. Instead, I have spent countless months trying to conceive, more medication and shots than I can count on two hands, hundreds of hours in a doctors office waiting room, and even a significant amount of time in the Operating Room. I have become friends with nurses, feel like I have taken an advanced science course on human reproduction, I am known by name at the local pharmacy, and quite frankly feel like a celebrity every time I enter my OBGYN's office. Not cool.
I know life's not fair. I'm not writing this to complain about some 16 year old getting pregnant and compare her life to mine. (I'm sure my life still tops hers...). I was just fascinated that someone could literally get pregnant in a random 3 day window. Wow.
No comments:
Post a Comment