Sunday, September 25, 2011

Ummm...Thanks for the advice (I guess)

It's funny how much attention pregnant ladies get in public.  Mostly from people we don't even know.  For the most part, I think people are just trying to be nice by engaging in conversation.  It seems like everyone asks "when are you due" and "is it your first?".  Most of the time I just respond that it's my first and I'm due in January.  So much easier than having to explain my life to a total stranger.  Matt is just waiting for the day when someone I don't know asks me when I'm due and I respond to them that I'm not actually pregnant or that I have already had the baby.  He thinks it'd be hilarious to watch their reaction.   After getting questioned about being pregnant, most people also offer up advice.  "Don't count on the baby coming before your due date, the first ones always take a little longer" or "Make sure you get lots of rest while you are pregnant because you won't get any sleep in a few months"...stuff like that.  It's just funny to me how people think that they should just offer up advice to a complete stranger.

One thing that cracks me up and that has happened to me on several occasions is the response after someone asks when my due date is and I respond January 2.  For instance today I ran into a store at the mall and was paying for something when the cashier asked me about my due date.  I told her that I was due on January 2 and she said "Oh I hope you have him on January 8, because that is my daughters birthday."  REALLY??  I know she was just being nice, but seriously....I do not know this lady, nor do I know her daughter.  Why would I want to target her daughter's birthday to have my son?  I don't even know how to respond to total strangers when they say stuff like that.  Again, I know people are just trying to be nice and I do appreciate that.  It's just funny the kinds of things that people feel the need to say.

I could make this blog entry really long with all of the weird things that have been said to me during my pregnancies.  I'll give one more example and leave it at that, though :o)  Recently I was sitting down and I had my arms crossed on the top of my belly.  This guy (may I add he has a rather large potbelly) spoke to me in a joking manner and said "wow, you are really getting quite a shelf there".  I politely laughed at his (bad) joke.  But I secretly wanted to respond "yep, at least I have the reason of being 20+ weeks pregnant for my shelf".

As much as I like to poke fun at the weird things that are said to me, I really do have so many people that are thinking about us all of the time and praying for us.  I appreciate all of them!!  It hasn't been easy to make it to 26 weeks, but here we are!  Every day from here is a bonus for this baby.  T-minus 99 days people!!!

1 comment: