You've probably seen the saying "I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers" - Anne of Green Gables. And if you haven't, you might now that we are entering into the month of October. October in the Midwest is so so beautiful. The air is crisp, and we've lost that summer humidity. The leaves on the trees begin to turn bright colors of yellow, orange, and red. The sky is a bright blue and the sun is shining on the best days. Pumpkins are brought out to decorate with and cozy sweatshirts can finally be worn again. There are many fun activities that commemorate each fall season. In my opinion it's the best time of the year.
Many of you know this, but October also marks the birth and death of our only daughter. It would be so easy for me to hate the month of October. Struggling to be able to have children, finally getting pregnant, and then holding my daughter as she passed from this world was a lot to bear on that sunny October day in 2010. October's will never be the same in my world. Each year as the air turns crisp and the leaves begin to turn, my thoughts are always with Braelyn and thinking about who she would be this year. This marks 7 years since we so quickly had to say goodbye. The bitterness of not being able to get to know her is still in my heart, but it has faded some.
I can't imagine living in a world without Octobers because I wouldn't have had the opportunity to call Braelyn my own. I wouldn't have been touched by her short life in a way that has changed who I am to my core. I can truly say that in a world without October's I wouldn't be the mom, wife, friend, etc. that I am today. Many people have been touched over the last seven years because of the acts of kindness that we engage in each year to celebrate her birthday - and a lot of that is thanks to my friends and family, and even strangers who have participated in each activity we've done in her memory. Without October's, none of that would be possible.
This year, we are choosing not to plan a huge event to celebrate Braelyn's 7th birthday. We so appreciate everyone's generosity and participation in the past in all of the wonderful things we've chosen to do. This year finds us in a very busy season with many activities and things on our calendar - don't get me wrong, this isn't a complaint as I know I longed for years to have this with our children, and I am so grateful. But, it does limit us on the capacity that we have to coordinate a large undertaking like some of the things we've done in the past few years. However, we truly believe that one small random act of kindness can hold the same power that all of the larger events have had.
This year would you join us in doing a random act of kindness in the month of October? It can be anything - something as simple as buying a cup of coffee for the person in line behind you. The possibilities are endless. In a world where there is so much hurt, pain and negativity, let's all show love, kindness, and acceptance to those around us.
This year, October 7 is Braelyn's Golden Birthday. To celebrate, we plan to take the boys to Chicago. We are going to the Lincoln Park Zoo, to lunch at The Rainforest Cafe, and we'll finish up our day with a ride on the Ferris wheel at Navy Pier. Our random act of kindness will be making up care packages for the homeless and distributing them downtown Chicago. We want to show them that they are noticed, loved, and cared about.
If you feel so inclined to share what your random act of kindness is, we'd love to hear about it. We enjoy knowing how our daughter has impacted this world and made it a better place. But if you'd rather do something in private, that's wonderful and respected too.
We love all of you and thank you for the support you've shown to us year after year.
Happy #7 Braelyn!


No comments:
Post a Comment