Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Braelyn's Legacy

Over the weekend we celebrated Braelyn's first birthday.  Sad to think we had to celebrate it without her, but really amazing to think of all of the people who were blessed because of her.  A few months ago, Matt and I decided that for the first year we wanted to get both of our families together at Lake Evergreen to remember Braelyn.  I'm not sure we will do this every year, but something felt really special about doing it this year.  We debated for a long time on what to do while when we all gathered at the lake and had a hard time coming up with an idea that seemed perfect.  What we landed on couldn't have been more perfect.  We asked that every family take the time to do something nice for someone in need.  Whether this be a monetary donation or just taking the time to help someone.  (Thanks mom for mentioning this idea).  We then asked that everyone come ready to share their contributions with us on Saturday at the lake.

Friday was Braelyn's actual birthday and Matt and I took the day off of work and spent time together.  We didn't do a whole lot, but it was nice to be with one another.  It was (and still is) hard for me to believe it had been a whole year.  I felt like after Friday I was in a really good place.  I was kind of nervous about doing the "party" on Saturday because I was afraid it would make me sad again.  Little did I know that I really needed Saturday to happen!  We all met out at the lake around 2 p.m.  The trees were just as pretty this year as they were last year.  It was a beautiful fall day and the temperature was perfect.  I absolutely love fall, so October 7 will always be the perfect day to me.

We all sat around in a circle and shared stories about how Braelyn had touched people's lives in her short 12 hours here on earth.  The creativity and thoughtfulness of everyones contribution was mind blowing.  It never ceases to amaze me how much good has come to the world because our our tiny little girl.  Below are most of the donations/ideas that our families (and some friends too) came up with to honor Braelyn's name.  We are glad that other people inside and outside of our community will have new doors opened to them.


  • Donation of baby supplies given to The Crisis Nursery (http://www.crisisnursery.net)
  • Donation of baby items (especially for girls) given to the victims of the Joplin, MO tornado 
  • Tiny bows donated to the NICU in Peoria and Urbana for premature baby girls 
  • Donation to the Honor Flight-- a flight that takes WW2 veterans to Washington D.C. to see the memorial (http://www.wixy.com/pages/10681940.php)
  • A 5K to run every year in memory of Braelyn
  • Major overhaul of the playroom at the Children's Advocacy Center in Bloomington.  New paint, new toys, new supplies. (http://www.co.mclean.il.us/childadvocacy/)
  • Donated books to a local library
  • Monetary donation to Operation Smile (http://www.operationsmile.org/)
  • A plaque to hang in the waiting area of the NICU in Peoria with an inspiring poem
  • Monetary donation to The March of Dimes (http://www.marchofdimes.com)
  • Two injured sea turtles were adopted for a classroom to raise and watch 
  • Monetary donations for reading programs for children in schools
  • Donation of time volunteering in the community
  • A butterfly garden and a knockout rosebush planted in memory of Braelyn, and meant to attract butterflies
  • Monetary donation to The Caring Bridge website (www.caringbridge.com)
  • Donation of reading materials to classrooms to help children learn to read
  • Preemie clothes donated to the NICU in Peoria and Urbana
  • Donated time at an underprivileged school in the community 
  • Monetary donation to the LivLife fund (http://livlife.us/newsite/)
  • Monetary donation to St. Jude's (www.stjude.org)
  • Donations of two large boxes of diapers and a large box of wipes given to The Home Sweet Home Mission in Bloomington (http://hshministries.org/)
  • Donations of many children's necessities, such as socks, underwear, burp cloths, diaper wipes, and snow boots to a family at a local church who was struggling to make ends meet for their 6 children
Overall it was a great day to remember our special baby.  We are so blessed to have family and friends that supported us during the past year and who are still supporting us through the journey of having this baby boy.  I always say it, but I truly mean it, we would not be doing as well as we are today with out all of you!  

Happy 1st Birthday Braelyn!!   I hope we all made you proud. 


2 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing to see the impact of Brae's life on so many?! What a blessing she is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a beautiful day and awe inspiring to see all of the ways that Braelyn's life touched others and will continue to so. Dad and I are so proud of you and Matt for your ablilty to make positives out of all that you have experienced. We love you both and Baby C too!

    ReplyDelete